Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is the oldest church in the original city limits of Miami, having been organized by the Rt. Rev. William C. Gray on June 12, 1896, more than a month before the city was incorporated. Bishop Gray, a missionary bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Southern Florida, had visited the Miami area in 1893, and had performed a baptism, confirmation, and celebrated Holy Communion in a schoolhouse in Lemon City, traveling up the coast from the Miami River on a launch provided by Julia Tuttle. Mrs. Tuttle, the "Mother of Miami", donated land at the southeast corner of 10th Street and Avenue B (now NE 2nd Street and NE 2nd Avenue) and in December, 1896, at that site a one-story, one-room wooden Trinity Church was completed as the first permanent church building within Miami's original city limits.
Like the cathedrals of old, Trinity is a place for contemplation, worship and ministry to the community. Today, Trinity Cathedral is a house of prayer for all people and its many programs and activities reach out to the community in numerous ways. The Cathedral congregation is ethnically and culturally diverse, making it a microcosm of the Miami community.